How to Prepare Yourself to Downsize to a Smaller Home
Do you plan on downsizing in the future? Are you hoping to make your move as soon as the pandemic slows down and the economy opens back up?
There are many benefits of downsizing, including but not limited to:
• Less maintenance (which saves you time and money)
• Smaller (or no) mortgage payment
• Free up time and money for things you love, such as traveling
• Prevent future debt
Some people dive into downsizing without much preparation. While it may work out in the end, it’s better to prepare yourself accordingly. Here are three things you should do:
• Know what you want: Downsizing means something different to everyone, so make sure you define it before you begin your home search.
• De-clutter your home: When downsizing, you don’t want to take everything with you. This will lead to clutter in your new home, and that’s not the fresh start you’re looking for. De-clutter your home before moving by separating items into three categories: keep, toss, and sell.
• Create a new budget: If money is on your mind, create a budget with your future living situation in mind. Once you know how much you’re saving by downsizing, you can better plan for the future.
For many, downsizing is a dream come true. But before you take action, make sure you’re properly prepared.
Four Sales is the leading estate sale company in Virginia, DC and Maryland. For the past 40 years, Four Sales has conducted over 3,000 estate sales in Virginia, DC and Maryland. Four Sales estate sales headquarters is in Alexandria, Virginia with regional offices in Charlottesville, Virginia and Annapolis, Maryland.