Estate Sales: A Great Place to Search for Vintage Bicycles
Do you collect vintage bicycles? Are you looking to buy one of these as a restoration project? Are you hoping to purchase the type of bike you had when you were a child (maybe a Schwinn Flyer)?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should come to realize that there is a large market for vintage bicycles.
Before you begin your search, you may find it hard to believe that these bikes are for sale. However, once you are locked in on the market you may be surprised at what you come across.
There are many places to search for vintage bicycles, as well as those that are considered “non-vintage,” but estate sales are often times your best option.
There are many reasons for this, including but not limited to:
- The ability to shop in person, bringing back all those good memories from the past
- Affordability (as well as the possibility to negotiate with the seller)
- Less competition among buyers
- Easy to see what you are getting, which is not always the case with an online purchase
When searching estate sales for vintage bicycles, it is always a good idea to have as much knowledge as possible. While the seller may be able to assist you with some details, don’t expect too much information.
Instead, you should do as much research upfront as possible. For example, you can learn more about vintage bicycles via the internet. The more time you spend reading about these bikes the more knowledge you will gather.
While you are researching the many types of vintage bicycles, pay close attention to the following details:
- How to identify particular makes and models
- Images of bicycles (you may want to print some of these out to take with you to estate sales)
- Key information about each model, including a brief history
What to Consider when Buying
Now that you realize the benefits of searching estate sales, as well as how to learn more about the history of vintage bicycles, it is time to discuss what to consider if you are ready to make a purchase.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- What condition is the bike in?
- Is the bike rare among collectors or readily available?
- What is the asking price?
- What are your intentions if you are able to purchase the bike?
By answering these types of questions, you can begin to better understand which vintage bicycle, if any, you should purchase at the present time.
No matter if you enjoy collecting vintage bicycles or are looking to make your first purchase, get started at local estate sales.
Category: Estate Sales